Thursday, December 5, 2013

Grandma's No Bake Cookies

I waited all year for the Great Online Cookie Exchange Extravaganza! The final day for recipe submission rolled around, and I couldn't decide which recipe to share.
Seriously, more thought went into it than last night's dinner and desert combined.

It has been suggested in the past that my recipes were a bit on the complicated side, so this year I decided after much agonizing, and bemoaning my indecisive tendencies to go with something simple.

The only thing simpler than no bake cookies is a tube of pre-made cookie dough, which I feel compelled to point out has never crossed the threshold of this house.

This is my mom's recipe, and I don't know where it came from. I do know that she would kill me for letting her secret out, and they are the best damn no bake cookies I have ever had in my life.

You probably won't want to serve these on Christmas, and you certainly don't want to mail them to your relatives, but they are perfect for filling those midnight cookie orders throughout the year and keeping everyone out of the pies on Christmas Eve.

Grandma's No Bake Cookies
Stir over medium heat, in a heavy bottomed saucepan:
1 stick butter
1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup high quality cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk.
When everything is melted together, add:
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups regular rolled oats
Remove from the heat immediately, and drop in spoonfuls onto a large baking sheet (wax paper prevents sticking, but isn't absolutely necessary).
Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before eating. They are best stored in a sealed container in the fridge, if they last that long.
Makes 1-2 large baking sheets, depending on cookie size.

For the really good stuff, go check out the rest of this year's participants. There are sure to be some absolutely divine goodies!


32 comments:

  1. Sounds very good for no bake cookies. Still there are more than 5 ingredients so I will have to depend on virtual taste and those tube things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But sunnygirlllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!! I had you in mind special when I chose this recipe. How about oats don't count as an ingredient since horses eat them too. Now will you try them?

      Delete
  2. That sounds so yummy and easy enough that I can make them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! I have to try these.
    But I have to substitute the peanut butter (because its gross :p)
    Thanks for sharing, lil.

    Does it sound snobby to say that a tube of cookie dough (or cake mix) has never crossed the threshold of this household, either?! *grins*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What would you use as a substitute for the peanut butter? 2 of my kids are allergic.

      Delete
    2. Bleuame,
      They're good. Would be great with almond butter I bet.
      LOL! It only sounds snobby when you say it. *grins* sorry, couldn't help it.

      @Sarah, if it's just a peanut allergy, not nuts in general, these are awesome with almond butter

      Delete
  4. These sound easy and tasty...will have to try soon... thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terpisichore,
      I hope you like them!

      Delete
  5. These do sound easy. Same as Bleuame, would have to substitute the peanut butter.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ronnie,
      nice to see you!
      Almond butter rocks...

      Delete
  6. Yummy!! I've never done a no bake cookie, I will have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misty,
      I have had really gross ones, but these have the right proportion of chocolate.
      Hope you like them!

      Delete
  7. Yummy! Can't wait to try these. I haven't tried a no-bake I really cared for. But oatmeal and peanut butter, how can you go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chickadee,
      I have had gross versions of these, so I think you can go wrong...But, these are good. Promise.

      Delete
  8. man, there are cookies all over my blog feed and i'm hungry! i wonder if i have everything for these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. scarlet,
      lol! I think I have found one recipe on the exchange so far that I have everything for tonight. I may be unable to resist...

      Delete
  9. Can't wait to make these. Quick, easy, yummy - you can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,
      really, I think these are impossible to mess up! And quick is always a plus, isn't it.

      Delete
    2. We'll in baking/cooking "quick" is a plus. But I wouldn't say it's always a plus, laugh my dirty mind off!!!!!

      Delete
  10. These do sound yummy, like that idea of no oven, but I would need to substitute the peanut butter too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DelFonte,
      if it's not a nut allergy, you can't go wrong with almond butter.
      I love the no oven part.

      Delete
  11. Shoot, I'll take everyone else's peanut butter! ;-p
    I'm sure these are terrific, in whatever nutty form.

    Thanks for playing again, my friend. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jz,
      lol! It looks like there's plenty for you!

      Thanks for letting me play. It's been fun. Already plotting next years recipe...Apparently just so I can waffle back an forth until the last minute again...

      Delete
  12. LOL Lil...This recipe is very similar to mine...got mine from my grandpa...wonder if your mom got this from her mom. I do like that yours has cocoa mixed into it...will have to try that!

    Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat,
      ooh, 2 no bake recipes this year! i like o think that it's hard to go wrong with chocolate.

      Delete
  13. Ooh, I love these! They're very popular in our family - I think, passed down from one of the grandmothers. Makes you wonder if there was only one sweets recipe book in circulation during that time, huh? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angelina,
      lol. Apparently they really were quite popular!

      Delete
  14. never seen anything like these, i will have to give them a try. thank you!

    -r.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rose,
      nice to see you!
      They're tasty and super simple, usually a win win for me.

      Delete
  15. I'm not big on no bake cookies but I'll give these a try. I'll take whatever peanut butter Jz doesn't take, I love the stuff! ;D Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashly,
      I hope that you like them!

      Delete

Play nice.