Saturday, March 7, 2020

Ten

So this blog will be ten years old tomorrow...One whole fucking decade.

A lot happens over the course of ten years. Hell, a lot happens over the course of one. I took a long hiatus from this place. And coming back...Well, it's stirred up a lot in my head. And it's been kinda lovely cuz, some of you are still here and that warms my heart to no end.

A decade of my story is here. Not all of it, and certainly very little of the last few years. But it is still my story, my history, my life.
I have been talking to one of my aunts. I never had any close family, but still, she's my family. And she remembers family history that no other living person knows. My youngest has expressed an interest in learning his family history, so I started talking to her about it and really acknowledging some interesting things about history and being alive.
Stories die when no one remembers them. Some day, everything we know and experienced will vanish unless someone else learns our story. Histories, lifetimes, people, their stories, the events during their lifetimes, these things only truly die when no one knows them and can pass them on, and no one listens or recalls the tales of those who do.
And these individual moments of failure, success, pain, joy, love, hate...All these little individual moments put together as a whole make up the world as we know and experience it.

We are all merely a drop in the ocean, but without all those little drops, there is no ocean.

This blog is ten years old. I turned 37 last week. Time flies, but it doesn't have to pass us by. We add to our story and those of people we interact with each and every day. Life is beautiful. It's fucking painful, and ugly, and glorious, and amazing. Our story is what we make it, how we choose to allow others to shape it, the memories and moments we share with others.

In the end, perhaps it matters not how long we are alive, but that we truly live in the time we are given. And if we are really lucky, we will touch even just one person enough for them to listen to our story. And remember.

Given the theme this post kind of took on its own, I would just like to mention Cat, of Be pleasing always. Her dom, HerLiege, recently posted that most of her blog was going to be deleted by tumbler.That brings me great sadness. Because, while Cat had already passed away when I found her blog years ago, her story meant something to me, it impacted my ideals and views, helped to shape so many of my ideas of submission. I can still call up that feeling in my heart that reading her words inspired, and the introspection  and growth it evoked. Her story and who she was will always be beautiful to me. And because she shared her story, I will remember her. Always.

4 comments:

  1. Wishing you a belated Happy Birthday and Blogiversary! I'm so glad to see you back here.

    What a wonderful post. Everyone has a story and the story ends when there is noone to listen and tell the story. I think it's great that your son is taking an interest in family history and that you are learning from your aunt.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roz!
      It's an important and underrated concept these days, keeping a story going. And all too often I think that we forget we our writing our own as we go, kinda like a choose your own adventure book with way more options lol.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday, my friend.
    thank-you for writing your story here and continuing it on.

    ReplyDelete

Play nice.