Wednesday, March 11, 2020

What Do We Crave?

So I was sitting here thinking about a bunch of random stuff...Last night with her, our/my D/s struggles, the conversation I had with kiddo while we made banana bread tonight, random things I need and crave...And I got to thinking, what do we crave?

We boil our human cravings down to specific needs, desires, and emotions, because that's how we meet them, right? If you can't choose a specific need or desire, you can't really fill or address it.

Specifics are important. They provide us with definition which leads to the fulfillment we seek. Without specifics, such fulfillment can be elusive, and our pursuit of it merely confusing to ourselves and the people in our lives.

But what if, just what if, sometimes we are too specific and become so fixated on the exact thing we think we need and the way we think we have to get it, that we are unable achieve it simply because our view of what it is has become too narrow?
For instance, kiddo craves acceptance and confidence, but rightly enough, he's afraid that the confidence he has reached for in his pursuit of acceptance just kinda makes him act like an asshole. So how does he achieve his goals and circumvent the asshole bit (putting aside that there's a huge difference between cocky and confident, but he's eleven and we're both working our way through it all lol)?
Maybe, just maybe, he doesn't really need either of those things. Maybe he just needs to learn belief in himself and acceptance of who he is at his core. Maybe he just needs to learn to trust that feeling in himself when he does the right thing, regardless of what others say and think about it.

I have been called confident over and over. I'm not. I know I'm not. But oddly enough, I am accepted for my acceptance of self and my irritating inner drive to do what I believe is inherently right. I used to crave acceptance from others before I realized that what I really needed was acceptance from myself which allowed me to sleep at night.

Before I get too sucked into the details...
So many of these needs and desires we have as human beings come down to much more vast and basic things. And sometimes, when we allow ourselves to let go of our narrow and specific ideas of what those things are, we gain the ability actually achieve and experience them.

I need to submit. It is who I am. When I get sucked into the details of how exactly that submission should take form, I become unable to achieve it. When kiddo needs to believe in himself and translates that as having the acceptance of others, it becomes an elusive goal because it is then no longer based on a broader acceptance of himself and an unfailing ability to choose what he knows is right, but based upon how he wants people to react to that which he seeks within himself.

We all experience so many cravings and needs. Many of them are valid. But perhaps, just perhaps, sometimes, we get so sucked into the specifics of what we think they are and how we believe they must be achieved, that we miss the broader overall need that our cravings are rooted in. We therefor deny ourselves the ability to meet them because our focus has become to narrow.
.

What we crave, what we need, what we desire, is perhaps not always found in the specifics we are fixated upon, but in the broader realities which contain those specifics. And oftentimes we lose what we are reaching for simply because we are unable to broaden our definition enough to realize that we can have what we seek if we merely let go of our attachment to how it comes.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Storm,

    Wow, what a great and thought provoking post. Hmm, I am going to have to ponder this some more lol

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Storm,
    Wow! You said some great things here that I have been struggling with for this past year as our ttwd intensified here at home and then imploded.... I think our partners often get almost spooked at the very specific ideas we submissives have and are afraid if they don't do it perfectly, we'll be disappointed. And they're right.....I think you might be onto something here and that I need to broaden my perspectives regarding my needs and wants in life and ttwd/spanking/whatever. Thanks for the conversation. Still love this handwriting! LOL! Hugs, Windy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Windy!
      Sometimes I think our partners reaction evolves/varies--spooked or irritated lol.
      I have always...Struggled I guess, with too much of an attachment to my exact idea of how things should be. Not just as a sub, but with life in general. Work in progress lol.

      Delete
  3. I read this this morning and I wanted to come back to reread and comment on it. I had a really difficult time getting past the content warning page this evening, so I had to go through my history to bypass it. Just letting you know, not because you can fix it but that might be a reason why there haven't been many comments later in the day and evening . It is such a good post, didn't want you to think anything otherwise if traffic seemed low.

    Now onto your post. I own a book called The Ecstasy of Surrender. It isn't based on D/s but it is based on surrendering in all aspects of our lives. The author contends that once you surrender, which is giving over, not giving up, your life truly begins. You must let go of that which you cannot control and then you will not be controlled ( which sounds contrary to being a submissive and some of their needs) but the way she writes it it all makes perfect sense.

    I am guilty of having a narrow mind when it comes to my need. It has changed over the years. Now my narrow mindedness toward specifics is based on my needs because of the history I have with B. My narrow focal point stems from things he has done in the past, so when he does that again, but maybe not quite long enough, ( not talking about physical here..lol) I often have an expectation that is not met, but set out by our history. I will prepare for 'the battle within' , just start quieting my mind, and he tells me to stop....as an example. BUT there were times when we first started out, okay the first 3 years, that I may have based my needs on what I thought I NEEDED specifically or based on what others did/had. Back to the point of your post and the book I have, if I loosen my grasp on my needs, and open my mind to follow a different path, it has often led to great things- after all not being in control, even of my needs, is a need. LOL

    I hope your son has success living authentically with confidence. I know that it took me a while to realize I presented myself differently to different people. I inadvertently gave them who I thought they expected, good or bad. I later found out I was wrong most of the time, they didn't expect who I thought they did. LOL

    willie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Willie, Good to see you! For some reason I can't find your blog again :(

    Thank you for telling me about the content warning. I have no idea how to fix that problem! I did notice when I tried the new blogger for like 10 minutes, I couldn't ever get past the content warning page, so I changed it back to the old version. Please let me know if it happens more!

    That book sounds interesting. Really, thinking about it, The whole concept makes a lot of sense--I spend an inordinate amount of time worrying about things I have little to no control over; Whereas if I just surrendered to the knowledge that my concern was futile because my worry wasn't going to fix anything, I'd feel a lot more peaceful overall.

    "after all not being in control, even of my needs, is a need." Perfectly stated! *sighs* the struggle is real lol. I feel like it can be such a quandary as a sub, especially in times of, for lack of a better word, unrest; how our perception of our needs intertwines with how our Dominant's choose to address them. There are times in which it can be such a delicate balance...

    And I really like how to phrased that giving people who they thought they expected. I may incorporate a version of that into my next conversation with him on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Storm,

    ( going to take me a bit to get used to not thinking of you as lil. lol)

    "our perception of our needs intertwines with how our Dominant's choose to address them. There are times in which it can be such a delicate balance..." TRUTH!

    As for my blog, I removed Barney Married Wilma a while ago. I think I still have my tumblr up, though it really didn't go anywhere. I have a wordpress blog I can send you the link to if you'd like? I haven't written on there really either, found like I was just writing to Roz everywhere. LOL. But I may pick up the pen again soon. Reading real in depth content like yours with people who aren't afraid to discuss and don't use vagities and write cryptic has inspired me to try again- maybe. LOL

    Thanks for looking though. Please continue to be real here!

    willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Willie,
      well, wherever/whenever, you choose to pick up the pen again, I'd love to read you!

      Delete

Play nice.