Saturday, August 27, 2011

Does the Garden Grow

When I was growing up, my father's life revolved around the gardens. Not cute little gardens with flowers and water flowing abundantly--big gardens for food where flowers were only planted if they warded off bugs and every drop of water used was hauled from somewhere else.
Alpha grew a garden this year and now that He's going back to work for a little bit, I'll be the one taking care of it. And it's a lot of friggin work.

A garden is very much like D/s, or any relationship for that matter--they need constant care and upkeep, every plant has different needs, and if you stop tending to them they die. There are no substitutes for dedication and consistency, no shortcuts to a bountiful harvest, no such thing as a day off.

And the harvest is well worth the effort put into it.

Like watching relationships,you can tell a lot about someone by looking at their garden. You know if they value beauty or substance, or maybe a little bit of both. It's easy to see how hard they are willing to work at something and the care they put into the things they do.

Of course, you could also draw the conclusion that they are completely insane. What kind of maniac plants eight 30 foot rows of tomatoes and fills most of the remaining 20 rows with things that have to be watered twice a day??
Speaking of which...I'm an hour late getting out to water it.
Grumbles. The food is awesome, but the man that planted it all is a sadistic bastard.

3 comments:

  1. Good god - we can barely consume 5 plants worth of tomatoes any given summer- eight rows?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of favoirte memories is of my Grandparents massive gardens, and sitting on their back porch shelling butter beans until my fingers ached.

    Sounds like you are going to be a busy girl keeping this watered, and I'm assuming doing something with all these tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. greengirl, yea...We ea a lot of food...Still, I will be trying my hand at canning tomatoes this year lol.

    Serenity, uh huh, no rest for the wicked lol. I'm thinking there will be lots of drying and canning in my near future.

    ReplyDelete

Play nice.